The Latin American Energy Organization (Olade) and the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) organize a virtual seminar to promote dialogue between governments, development partners and regional and multilateral institutions on regional and national perspectives to accelerate the transformation of energy in Latin America and the Caribbean. This virtual event will have the participation of the Executive Secretary of Olade, Alfonso Blanco; IRENA Deputy Director General Gauri Singh and UK COP26 Ambassador for Latin America and the Caribbean Fiona Clouder on August 19, 2020, at 11h00 (standard eastern time – EST).
Based on the global and Latin American and Caribbean specific findings from IRENA’s reports called Global Renewables Outlook – Energy Transformation 2050 and Renewable Energy Generation Costs in 2019, the virtual event will provide a regional platform for discussion on ongoing efforts to accelerate the region’s energy transformation and deep decarbonization toward post COVID-19 economic recovery.
Among the points that will be discussed are:
• Presentation and debate around the main conclusions of the GRO, which will offer an overview of the results of the energy scenarios and the socioeconomic analysis.
• The transformation of energy and the socio-economic structure, together with the relevance of economic development through job creation in the renewable energy sector.
• Specific findings of the GRO region for the member countries of Latin America and the Caribbean.
• Insights from regional leaders on energy transformation and discussion of GRO 2020 ideas and how the region can accelerate the deep decarbonization process.
• Exchange of ideas on the benefits of promoting energy transformation and the key role of clean energy for the economic recovery of the countries of the region.
This virtual meeting will also examine the measures necessary to promote a transformation of energy systems in Latin America and the Caribbean.
For participants who wish to attend this virtual event, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
IRENA Global Renewables Outlook Report
and Institutional Relations